Groveport, Ohio – Central Ohio's Hometown – is a growing central Ohio suburb in southeastern Franklin County, Ohio. The community has a rich history, even pre-dating the opening of the Ohio Canal in 1831 and the village's incorporation in 1847.
Groveport's boundaries had remained relatively unchanged from its early days. But, after World War II, Groveport began to steadily grow. Development began in earnest in the 1950s with the annexation of the residential areas of Kessler Addition, Magnolia Addition, and Sunrise Addition. The 200 home Westport Addition followed in the 1960s. By the 1990s more subdivisions became part of the village – Grove Pointe, The Orchard, Bixford Green, Walden Pond, Hickory Grove, Greenbriar (also called South Groveport), Newport Village and Greenfield Place.
The community's historic roots and proud heritage are still evident today in the historic downtown area. The immaculately restored Town Hall building at Main & Front Street is the centerpiece for the historic business district spanning approximately 4 linear blocks along Main Street from College Street to the area just east of the Main Street & Wirt Road intersection.
The historic downtown area includes structures of various vintage and architectural styles, including commercial buildings and residential structures dating back to the mid- to late 1800's. Many of the historic residential properties within the historic Main Street corridor have been adapted to commercial uses, though some residential uses still remain. The downtown streetscape, renovated with period-lighting and brick crosswalks, is attractive, pedestrian-friendly and well-maintained. Commercial development extends west along Main Street to the State Route 317 corridor and includes national grocery chain, franchise and national brand retail offerings.
The community of Groveport and the surrounding region has experienced strong residential growth. U.S. Census Bureau data indicates that the City of Groveport's population increased by 31% from 1990 to 2000 – from a population of 2,948 to 3,865; and by 39% from 2000 to 2010 to a Census 2010 population of 5,363. Growth in the city's population has far outpaced that of Franklin County which grew by an estimated 8.8% from 2000 to 2010 according to recently released U.S. Census Bureau figures.
Growth in the city and surrounding region has not been limited to commercial and residential. Five industrial parks located within the city's incorporated area and in close proximity to Rickenbacker International Airport and the State Route 317 corridor are home to a number of large manufacturing, warehouse and distribution facilities employing thousands of workers. The expansion and stability of the industrial sector, even in spite of corporate downsizing and exporting trends seen elsewhere, was made possible in large part through tax incentives offered by the city.
Groveport residents enjoy big city amenities within the confines of this hometown city with impressive amenities that include the Groveport Recreation Center & Aquatic Park, a $15 million state of the art facility boasting 67,000 square feet of fitness, recreation, aquatics and the 450,000 gallon outdoor aquatics park; a cultural arts center, art gallery, and extensive programs and events housed at the historic Groveport Town Hall; and The Links at Groveport 18-hole golf course, formerly a private country club which is now owned and operated by the City of Groveport, open to the public, and generates an estimated 32,000 rounds of play each year.
The city remains highly active in the economic development arena and, based on its strong track record, effectively markets itself as, "Central Ohio's Hometown for business" and a place where, "Companies large and small enjoy Groveport's business-friendly atmosphere, easy access to transportation, and an unparalleled quality of life for their employees."
Traffic counts for Main Street
Traffic Counts for Groveport Rd and State Rt. 317